Poisoning is a dangerous event for both humans and animals. Poisons can enter an animal’s body in various ways, such as through ingestion, inhalation, or skin contact. Depending on the type of poison, the effects can be immediate or delayed.
Symptoms of poisoning include:
Vomiting and diarrhea (sometimes with blood)
Skin, eye, or other body part inflammation
Muscle cramps
Excessive salivation (sometimes with bubbles)
Excitement or lethargy
Ulcers (in the mouth or on the skin)
Changes in body temperature, especially with increased muscle activity
Constant skin scratching and active licking
Swelling of limbs, muzzle, etc. (e.g., from an insect bite)
In case of suspected poisoning, take the following steps:
Contact your veterinarian immediately or arrange for a house call, as time is critical in poisoning cases.
Provide your veterinarian with information about the suspected poison, its quantity, and the time of ingestion. If the animal ingested something at home, bring the packaging.
Describe the animal’s symptoms, such as vomiting, convulsions, lethargy, respiratory rate, body temperature, and salivation.
Do not attempt to treat poisoning at home without consulting a veterinarian. Some poisons are highly toxic, and forced vomiting can cause additional harm. Each poison requires a specific method of neutralization, ranging from activated charcoal to inducing vomiting or administering antidotes.
If poison contacts the skin or eyes, rinse the affected area with clean water, taking care not to spread the substance to other body parts.
Common poisons include:
Household cleaning agents
Antifreeze or ethylene glycol (propylene glycol is a non-toxic alternative)
Insect repellents (for cockroaches, ants, etc.)
Certain plants (herbs, shrubs, trees, or flower pollen)
Flea and tick treatments (harmful in large doses)
Fertilizers and weed control agents
Monitor your pet closely and be aware of what they eat or sniff. Train your dog to avoid unfamiliar substances, and keep medications, cleaning agents, and other chemicals out of reach. When walking your pet, use a leash and stay close to prevent accidental poisoning. If you notice any signs of poisoning, contact your veterinarian immediately.